Pages

Thursday 30 August 2012

Monogram Pincushion Tutorial!

 
 

I first made one of these pretties, oh... maybe 2 years ago, I was working in a gorgeous little quilt shop, and was asked to do a workshop for an open day we were having... it was my first 'grown-up' workshop ( previous to this I had only tutored kids!). They come in handy for presents or for pretty-ing up your own desk/ craft area, for using up the last scrap of your fave fabric or the precious button that you've been hoarding. They are also great to teach the youngins'.

Wanna know how to make one? Click the pics to see larger :)

 
Choose two co-ordinating fabrics, the two that I picked are leftovers from a charm pack by Urban Chicks', 'Hullabaloo' range. You don't need charm squares though, just cut two 5" squares. 
 
 
I sketched directly onto my fabric with a water soluble marker, they are so handy, but if you don't have one a pencil will do, just draw really lightly! If you are using a dark fabric then chalk or a light dressmakers pencil will do the trick! If you need inspiration for your monogram, check out The Daily Drop Cap or a monogram generator site like this one.
 
 
So an embroidery hoop is not a necessity, but it really helps avoid puckering by keeping good tension on your fabric. Here, I have just used a simple back-stitch in a charcoal coloured floss, but you could use virtually any stitch. Here is one of my favourite embroidery sites, tons of tutorials! Sarah's Hand Embroidery Tutorials .
 
 
See where I have marked where to start and finish? It's a really good idea not to leave your 'turning gap' on a corner, it helps keep a good shape and it's much easier and neater to close. Also leave a small gap of maybe 1.5".... a huge big opening makes it harder and longer to close up!
 
A small running stitch is sufficient enough to sew around the edges, every few inches take a little back stitch for added security
 
 
 

 
Make the ladder stitch your best friend! It is absolutely worth it to take the time to learn it if you haven't done it before, it is invaluable! It is the neatest way to close up openings, I use it on all my dolls. Here is a great tutorial. (sometimes it's called the hidden stitch!)
 
 

 
Use a nice long needle and two or three strands of embroidery floss (we are gonna be pulling so we need strong thread) Find your centre and pass the needle straight down, 'pop' your knot inside, make a few passes up and down until the 'pinched in' area is secure. Click the pics to see close up.
 
All that's left is to add your button or buttons if you are adding one underneath too. Don't cut the thread you used to 'pinch' and simply thread though your buttons once or twice pulling taught as you go, knot your thread and pop it inside!
 
 
 And you're done!
 
Phew! My first tutorial, done and dusted!! I hope you enjoyed it...Stay tuned, I have a few more up my sleeve including an exclusive 'Lou Loves This' pattern (though to be honest that may take me a few weeks lol)If you make one of these babies, send me a photo, I'd love to see ;)
 
By the way, you wanna know what song repeatedly popped unbidden into my head whilst working on this post? 'Step by Step.... ohhh baby... gonna get to you girrrrrrl' New Kids On The Block.... yeah, I just went there! lol.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

23 comments:

  1. It's a lovely tutorial :] btw... your blog is so beautiful! I love the colors, photos, layout - everything! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denae!! Thank you so much!! I was visiting your blog last nite, but I couldn't find anywhere to leave you a comment or follow.... your blog is so cute, I love it! There is gonna be great things from you, I can tell;) (let me know if you add a follow button)

    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen anyone make a tutorial look so pretty before! Your photos are ace. And I'm going to have to learn a ladder stitch! b.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much B!!! Ladder stitch is the handiest stitch to know... I can show you when I see you next!

    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright, I sew a lot, but I must confess...I have never stitched in my adult days. I now see that I NEED to learn the basic for sweet little embellishments like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacklyn.... you could stitch this up in no time at all! :)

      Delete
  6. Awww! Thank you Louise! You're so encouraging! Because it was my first post, click on the post title and at the bottom, there is the comment box. I also added the follow button ;)

    I'm looking forward to your next tutorial!

    ~Denae

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so pretty and look super easy. They'd make great stocking stuffers! (WHY am I thinking about Christmas already?!)
    I would love to have you add this to a collective link party I co-host, Eat Make Grow: http://www.hideousdreadfulstinky.com/2012/08/eat-make-grow-thursday-5.html
    I host along with two other bloggers, so one link shows up on all three blogs, and we feature a couple of bloggers each week. We're always looking for great content like this! Hope to see you over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marigold.... I joined the link party... thanks for the invite... I love your blog (and your name!!) And, let's face it, is it EVER too early to think about Christmas??

      Delete
  8. Your tutorial is great, very pretty and very professional looking Louise. As is everything about your blog. You'll have to give us all tips. Amazing.
    Sandra
    www.sandy-quilts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra... you make me blush, thats a lovely compliment copming from such a talented lady.... thank you :)

      Delete
  9. Check you out!!! Love this.... Congratulations on your wee blog and your very profesional tutorial!! :D keep up the ace work. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely tuto , Thanks for tips. Hugs Eli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, Eli...

      :) Lou

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing at Shabbilicious Friday Louise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting, Kerryanne! (you have to most gorgeous blog!!)

      Delete
  12. Ooohhh! EXCITED!! I really appreciate the shout out, Ginger... thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! Lovely <3
    But I just wanted to know one thing- What is the stuffing which you used in the known as?
    Because I need to get it.
    Thanks a ton for posting such a lovely thing!
    ~Tuhina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Tuhina :)

    I just used some 'Hollow Fibre Filling' from my local craft store, any kind of stuffing will do, or, because you only need a small amount, you could use the stuffing from an old cushion! :) Hope this helps! (PS if you are in the UK, I got my filling from Dunelm Mill)

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is there any way you could be a little more detailed on the button part? I loved this tutorial so much and then got completely lost when it came to adding the button!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by.... let me know you were here.... I love comments :)

Louise x